no more time...

I met her on the bus, I met her in the corridors... a friendly smile, a kind word, and we were friends forever. Of course, it wasn't that easy. Along the way there was a shared love for books, there were hours of gossip, endless chats in cafes, invitations to leisurely lunches. There were day-long shopping sprees and ladies-only club nights. We had all the time in the world, to try on dozens of clothes, to order another sandwich, and for that last bit of gossip on the phone after getting home from an evening out. But all of a sudden, there is no more time. The days are flying by, filled with paperwork and meetings and weekends crammed with chores.

Now, with the hours and minutes slipping out of my fingers like sand, I wish I had made more of the time I had with them, living on the same street, sitting on the same floor, working in the same building, or just across the road. I wish we could have taken that crazy trip to the hills, I wish there would be another release of a Harry Potter book, I wish we could go out for just one more movie together.

In less than a month, we will be separated by an ocean. Those moments we took for granted will be nothing but memories. And I will look at every face I meet and hope for another friend forever.

3 comments:

Aparna said...

There you go again...just when I thought I was too old to get sentimental...
I'll miss you...honestly...all the great communication facilities of this world can never match meeting people in person and feeling their presence around you...

Ms.N said...

Leaving people behind is the hardest... ... they are the ones who make a place what it is really!

anyways, have a whale of time in the remaining few days... when are u flying out?

Tanushree said...

@Aparna: Sorry if I made you sad... I was in a weepy mood all day today. :-(

@Ms. N: Flying out on the 11th of April. And yes, even though it's been a long time, I still miss you very much too!